Wednesday, August 3, 2011
Yarn Along
We took a little vacation to visit my husband's family last week, so I had a bit more time for reading and knitting than usual. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to join in with all the folks sharing knitting and books over at Small Things.
On the needles is the 5 hour Baby Sweater (pattern here). I've been wanting to try it for a while now, and recently found out that I have three friends and several neighbors expecting babies this winter. Hooray for wooly baby knits! Do you have a favorite winter baby knit pattern you'd like to suggest?
And the book, oh the book. This Life is in Your Hands, by Melissa Coleman. Melissa is the daughter of Eliot Coleman, of The New Organic Grower fame. The book is a memoir of her childhood growing up on a homestead next door to Helen and Scott Nearing (who popularized the back-to-the-land movement with their book Living the Good Life.) Coleman's writing is filled with beauty and compassion as she relates the ideals, the harsh realities, and the tragedies of the lifestyle chosen by her parents. Her story inspired me, broke my heart, and resonated deeply with so many of my own hopes and longings and memories. It brought up a topic of conversation revisited frequently by my husband and I--the question of how to balance passion for a vocation or lifestyle with the work of caring for a family. And I think we will return to the themes in this book frequently as we dream and plan for our own future. Highly recommended!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The sweater looks wonderful - I love the blue & cream combo. Thanks for the book recommendation - it sounds very interesting.
ReplyDeletecozy knit! i haven't a suggestion for a favorite baby knit but i do love the book knitting for baby and have made most of the sweaters in there. http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Baby-How-Knit-Instructions/dp/1584790873 the stay on baby booties in that book are the best ever!
ReplyDeletebeautiful knitting Annie - and oh my I must add that book to my list. Thank you xx
ReplyDeletethat book has to go on my reading list! sounds like a must for me! thank you!
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful sweater. I added the book to my wish list, it sounds really interesting, especially when we are sort of at a crossroad in our lives. Thanks
ReplyDeleteThat book looks great! And yeh! for baby knitting- the best kind, I believe.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the link. I have a few babies to knit for as well. That is such a darling sweater!
ReplyDelete