Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Yarn Along: A Lost Lady and a found raglan


I've been looking for a basic seamless raglan pull-over pattern for a long time, and finally found this one via Sarah Jane's yarn along post a few weeks ago. This Yarn Along tradition is so fun--such a great way to share patterns and ideas and inspiration! I brought my daughter to the yarn shop with me to pick out yarn, and she chose this lovely purple alpaca. I'm hoping to finish it in time for her to wear it with the arrival of chilly weather this fall.

I just finished A Lost Lady, by Willa Cather. After reading My Antonia and O Pioneers years ago, I fell in love with Willa Cather, but never ventured beyond these two books.  When I recently came upon A Lost Lady, it seemed a good opportunity to explore her work further.  It took a little longer to draw me in, but in the end, I heaved the same sigh of satisfaction and felt the same sense of expansive horizons that I love so much about her other books. She has such insight into the personalities and inner workings of individual human beings,of humanity as a whole, of landscapes and eras. And I'm so inspired by the strong, remarkable (and flawed) pioneer women she writes about.

I've also been enjoying the BBC series Lark Rise to Candleford, based on a love letter written by Flora Thompson in the 1880's. A lovely show to knit with (though I wouldn't recommend for children, as there are some dark elements).

Happy knitting and reading to everyone! And do visit Ginny at Small Things for more Yarn-along inspiration.

19 comments:

  1. That purple alpaca looks so gorgeously warm and snuggly and the pattern is really cute, the simplicity will look fab in that rich purple :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several of her books on my shelf. Need to pull them out again. We love Lark Rise but I keep getting the wrong next dvd from the library. Another wonderful series of hers is Cranford. Highly recommended! And we also like Little Dorrit (different author) - very good, but a little dark and one scene not suitable for children. That color of yarn is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yarn looks so yummy, it'll make a fabulous jumper. I like the simple style, it's just the best sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that color! The raglan sleeves have me hooked lately, it's all I want to knit when it comes to cardigans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the purple yarn.. your knitting is beautiful!!

    ~~Renee

    A Knitters Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous purple for a raglan :) Would you believe I have not read a Willa Cather book? I'm going to get one out of the library soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love purple and it looks great
    Blessings
    Gae

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished that pattern, and it is such a nice, easy one! You seem to knit more loosely than I do, which is a good thing because the pattern does run a bit small! The purple looks luscious!

    We finished watching Lark Rise about a month ago and were sorry to say goodbye to all the great characters. Wish I could afford the series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your purple yarn is just beautiful. I do like Flora Thompson - a very beautiful writer, and interesting woman.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful color, I can't wait to see how the sweater turns out! I took a class years ago in which we read the complete works of Cather. I really should revisit them, as I don't think I appreciated them at the time. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sweater is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was just thinking of re-reading O Pioneers...it's been years! I love the purple alpaca...it will make such a soft pullover. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That purple yarn was the perfect pick! Bet it will be fun to snuggle into when it is finished.

    I haven't read A Lost Lady yet myself and I love Willa Cather. I never even thought of going back to her for my next read. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. willa cather, i read o pioneers in college and can't remember a thing about it. not one bit. it certainly didn't get me excited to read any more of her work, but maybe that was age and where i was in my life and less about her. i may need to try again...i keep seeing her books on the yarn along!

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am working on the same sweater for my son - not featured in this week's post because I haven't done much on it for the last week or so - and was also inspired to start it by Sarah Jane! I love the yarn you're using - what is it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. My daughter picked purple for her sweater too. Must be the color of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  17. To everyone~ thank you so much for visiting! I do love reading all your comments.

    To Meghann~ the yarn is Aslan Trends Royal Alpaca in plum. http://www.aslantrends.com/royal_alpaca.php
    It's very soft and feels kind of luxurious, but it was cheaper than a lot of other options at our yarn shop!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Before I get lost in the link that you provide in your article (about the raglan pattern), let me tell you that I really loved your blog. Very nice pictures and colors.
    Raglan cardi are my favourite, I love the easy way f doing the sleeves but I do not know how to make a jumper all at once, is that possible?
    Kind regards,
    Lorena

    ReplyDelete