Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Yarn Along--baby sweater complete!

With the cooperation of my little helper, I was finally able to finish up the "5-hour" baby sweater (more like 2 month baby sweater for me!).

I used leftover yarn from my stash, and my anxiety kept building in those last few inches, wondering if the yarn would run out before I made it to the bottom. Luck prevailed this time--that little ball of yarn in the corner there was all I had left. This is my first sweater with sleeves and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though I have a lot of room for improvement! I ended up with holes in the armpits that I sewed up as best I could...hopefully the babe who wears this will have enough wiggle room in the shoulder/armpit area. The pattern has no button holes, so I put one in at the top and didn't add any more. I'm not sure if it's intended to have no buttons, or if it's assumed you'll add them where you want them...anyone know? My daughter had a handmade cardigan when she was a babe and we ended up taking the buttons off because they became a choking hazard, so I thought it might be best not to put them on at all. Hmmm...

The book--All of Me! a Book of Thanks, by Molly Bang, has become a favorite of mine and of my daughter's. We were introduced to it at library story time last year and I loved it so much I bought it. It is a celebration of our bodies and all their different parts, and it takes such a positive view ("When I sit down, I sit on my good bottom. Thank goodness!"). I want my daughter to feel gratitude and love for her body, not the shame and dissatisfaction that so many girls and young women feel. I actually thought about buying this book for all of my friends who have ever had body image issues (haven't we all?). It's sure to bring a smile to your face and a spring to your step!

For more yarn along fun, visit Ginny at Small Things.

6 comments:

  1. The sweater looks great, love the stripes and the yoke :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the sweater! Also, thanks for the recommendation on the book. Sounds like it would be a good one for my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stripes - so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is going to sound weird but I like the stress of not knowing whether or not I have enough yarn...sometimes! It is like riding a rollercoaster. I love the striping you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful sweater! I wasn't sure I'd have enough yarn for one of the Baby Surprise Jackets I just knit, but it turned out to be just enough. I may go down to the wire with my current scarf project, too, but I *think* I bought enough to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, Annie! So adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete