Thursday, August 4, 2011

Around the Garden--Summer bounty

Last week we were out of town, and thanks to many generous garden-watering angels, we came home to a garden bursting with bounty ready for harvest.

 These little gold nuggets are just about ripe (maybe not an entirely green tomato year after all).

The bush beans are ready for picking. And the pole beans are getting there. I love how this stray one wound its way up a sunflower.

Speaking of sunflowers, they are all decked out in their glorious aray right now. I call this towering one the citadel of the garden. I planted sunflowers a few years ago and have had volunteers every year since. I transplant some of them to my liking, and leave the rest. They are so cheerful, and the birds and bees just love them. 

 I'm especially excited about these delicatas...

...and this itty bitty butternut. We've never had luck with winter squash, but things are looking promising this year. We planted the squash plants in the front yard and they're spilling out of their raised beds to take over the lawn...not such a bad thing! We might have to reign them in a bit if they reach the sidewalk.

 We took out the peas a while back, and the cucumbers are now making use of the trellis.

We planted great big zinnias among the squash plants, and have a border of black-eyed susans on one side, and this border of mixed flowers on another side to help attract pollinators. Seems to be working.

So much to give thanks for in this garden of ours!

How does your garden grow?

2 comments:

  1. What great watering friends you have. Your garden looks so cheery and inviting. Love the delicata and butternut squashes, and I like how you intertwined flowers with veggies. What are those orange flowers on the left bottom photo? Beautiful. Makes me want to restart our raised beds for next year. The 1st year in our new home, we had a wonderful garden then the 2 next years, it was riddled with all kinds of problems. Very discouraging. This year we went with garden pots. Have to gear up again for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, thanks for visiting! Those orange flowers are nasturtiums--so easy to grow, at least in our neck of the woods. They actually thrive in poor soil and little water. The only problem I've had is aphids, and even these pests don't seem to bother them much. Best of luck as you tackle the problems in your garden--the best all purpose remedy I know of is lots of compost (:

    ReplyDelete