Monday, August 15, 2011

Blackberry Jam

Along with English Ivy, the Himalayan Blackberry has become a horribly invasive species in Western Oregon. It sends out tenacious roots, scatters seed, and takes over whole hillsides in a thorny brambly mess. It's a real problem here, choking out native species and spreading like wildfire.

That said, I love blackberries! And I love that we can pick whole bushels of them for free just a few miles from our house. I'm not sure whether to feel guilty about enjoying them, or to let our enjoyment be a bit of redemption for all the havoc these plants wreak. Making blackberry jam has become an August tradition for us, and this weekend we went picking with dear friends.

 Last year I was introduced to Pamona's Universal Pectin, which has made it possible to create delicious local jam that I truly feel good about. No need for over-processed sugar shipped from far away--all you need are berries and honey (or any sweetener, or none, for that matter).


I get honey from Azure Standard through our food buying co-op. It comes in a gallon-sized container and I never have trouble finding people to split it with.  This makes it very economical. It truly is liquid gold!



 It's easy to feel intimidated by the thought of jamming and canning, but after doing it a few times, it feels very simple and manageable. It does help to have a partner to keep the toddler safe and out of the kitchen for half an hour while the "cauldron" is boiling and the berries are bubbling. The reward is certainly worth it. Opening a jar in the dark and damp of winter brings a rush of summer warmth and sweetness. Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment