Saturday, July 7, 2012
lavender honey lemonade
It seems that summer is truly upon us here in the northwest. It is hot, and being in the very pregnant state that I am, I've been doing everything possible to stay cool, and stay hydrated. So lemonade has been on my mind, and I finally had a chance to make up a batch this afternoon. Last year I fell in love with Heather's lavender lemonade, and using her recipe as inspiration, I created my own version with honey. And oh, is it good--really--Mt. Olympus nectar of the gods good.
If I was willing to wait a few weeks, I would have done this with the lavender and honey, to make a magical solar infusion. But I used the stove instead, and it still turned out heavenly. The violet lavender water and golden honey combine to make the loveliest rosy color--approved by the three-year-old girls among us. And the subtle, complex, sweet-tart-herbal flavor satisfies us adults.
Lavender Honey Lemonade
1 cup water
1 handful fresh lavender blossoms
1/2 cup honey
1 lemon juiced (about 1/3 cup)
3-4 cups cold water
In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add lavender, cover, and turn off heat. Steep for 10-20 minutes. If possible, sit in the kitchen with your feet up while the scent of lavender fills the room. Breathe deeply. Strain out the lavender flowers and admire the violet colored water. Add honey to hot lavender water and stir to dissolve. Add lemon juice and water to taste. Serve over plenty of ice. Find a nice shady spot, close your eyes, sit back, sip, and relax...
Labels:
herbs,
in the kitchen
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Lovely!! I can't wait to try it!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I planted lavender last year, and it did really well, but then had an exterminator come (termites in mulch!). I should have picked the lavender before (they looked lovely then), but now, he suggested NOT to use for drinking. So now I have to plant more in another location and hope.
ReplyDeleteYour daughter looks like she approves of her lemonade!