I harvested some of this...
And worked just a bit on this...
(yes, that is my very pregnant belly poking its way into the photo...soon, soon!).
Taking a break from baby knits to start a very simple felted bowl (thinking they would make good Christmas presents) with Brown Sheep bulky Lanaloft in "Herbal Garden" and size 9 needles.
We had a good afternoon--with the cold sprinkler, fragrant lavender, and soft wool, it was quite a feast for the senses.
Joining with Ginny for yarnalong...
It's a fine, fine belly! And I love how you're thinking about Christmas presents in June. Far more organised than me x
ReplyDeleteAh but you had a whole Christmas in June celebration! (:
DeleteOh thanks for the bowl pattern - that would make nice gifts. I planted 2 different types of lavender last year (only 1 bush each). One did not do well and died. The other has flourished! Just not sure what to do with it in terms of when to cut it. I was hoping to use it for lavender lemonade and other food things, but we had to have an exterminator (termites) and he said not to use the lavender for food right now - just in case. So, when I saw yours above, I thought perhaps I could still cut it and hang to dry for perhaps sachets? Is that how you dry it? Hang upside down?
ReplyDeleteIf I cut the lavender, will the plant rebloom this season or is it basically one cutting?
Ellen, I am no expert, but yes--the way I dry it is to hang it upside down in a warm, dry place out of direct sun, then remove the blossoms from stems and put them in an air tight container. I cut it just before the little tiny blossoms start to open, while they're in tight buds. In the last two years since I started harvesting it, the plants have had a second bloom later in the season. It's so fun to have the dried lavender to use for projects through the year--eye pillows are my favorite gift to give for friends needing a little stress-relief and TLC.
DeleteI think I've used that colorway of Brown Sheep! (but in a different weight) Isn't it lovely?
ReplyDeleteI have been wanting to cast on a few bowls to use around here and you are so right, they would make great Christmas gifts.
ReplyDeleteI am so envious of all your lavender. I have some growing here, but as this is the deep south it will never be as pretty as what you can grow in your area.
Have a great day.
Being able to add knitting to most anything makes it better - I get to spend a couple days at the beach with my knitting.
ReplyDeleteThis post is fantastic! I love your photos. :) I am going to have to cut some of my mother's lavender, I think! She has been giving me her lavender babies every year, but I don't think they like the soil in my yard much.
ReplyDeleteI'm visiting again - oh! You haven't posted! Perhaps because you're enjoying your new little one's arrival? Is that a good guess? Hope all of you are doing well.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting Ellen! No baby yet--just lots to do to prepare, and limited energy to do it with...working on a lavender lemonade post now, though...so check back again (:
DeleteYour lavender looks beautiful - looking forward to seeing your new little one here.
ReplyDelete