Tuesday, July 24, 2012

finished



It's been a good week for knitting. Really enjoyed that Pebble in the round, and jotted down a few notes to remember what I did for next time.  I think this might be a new favorite go-to baby gift--quick, easy, cute, and practical, too.

Also got that bowl felted, finished knitting another one, and cast on for a third. More good gifts. I think the one skein of yarn I bought (Brown Sheep bulky Lanaloft) will make four or five of them. Love the way this yarn felts up.

And as a contrast to the bulky yarn and big needles, I decided to start another pair of baby socks with size 0 needles--a lot like knitting with toothpicks--and some leftover very soft and fine merino wool. They feel delicate and lovely and appropriate for a tiny person fresh to this earth. Maybe they'll convince this babe in my belly to finally make his exit.

Reading another Alexander McCall Smith book--The Sunday Philosophy Club. I enjoy his No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series so much, I thought I'd try one of his other series. Only one chapter in, but so far so good. Also really enjoying Tamar Adler's An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace.  Such a unique book--an instruction manual for cooking, but also for living, and looking at life. Her outlook is refreshing, and truly marked by economy and grace. We had her lentil salad with basic vinaigrette this weekend, to round out a simple garden feast of sauteed summer squash, new potatoes with chives, and lettuce salad. It was a meal to celebrate.

Joining with yarn along...

6 comments:

  1. The Alexander McCall Smith book sounds like a fun read and I must add that one to my list! I love your finished project, cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pebble Vest and yarn bowl are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that felted bowl! Your baby socks sound wonderful - soft merino is a beautiful choice, I think. I want to find the Everlasting Meal book, it sounds interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh. that second book sound great. i think i might see if our library has it. i love a book that talks about food and living! and the vest turned out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your felted bowl. And the vest is adorable. I need to get my hands on a copy of Everlasting Meal, heard really great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Pebble vest is fantastic! It looks like a perfect project for me to start as well, since there will be many autumn babies born from friends and family of mine who I am sure would appreciate a sweet little vest.

    The cogs are turning for me now... Perhaps a felted bowl as Christmas gifts?? ... Good thing it's raining today. I've got some knitting to do!

    ReplyDelete