This year I've been so inspired by the herbs growing in our garden. They require little of us, yet they bestow us with such beauty, aroma, flavor, healing, and cheer. Not to mention the pollinators and beneficial insects they attract to the garden.
Recently I experimented with making a solar-infused herbal oil and then turning it into a healing salve. The process went something like this:
Gather calendula petals,
and lavender flowers.
Toss them together,
and shake off the bugs.
Place in a jar and cover with olive oil, then set in the sun for a week or two while the herbs release their healing properties into the oil.
Strain the oil through cheesecloth, squeezing out every last drop of herbal goodness.
Grate some beeswax and warm with the oil till melted (you will want a grater designated specifically for this purpose, as the beeswax is very difficult to clean off).
Pour the magical golden potion into jars,
let cool in a place safe from little toddler fingers,
And there you have it! Salve fit for a queen, or a humble gardener as the case may be. I have to say, the solar infused herbal oil is amazing--the scent is nearly tangible. And when combined with the beeswax, it works wonders to soften and protect hard working hands and sun-dried lips. Not just for women, either--my husband loves it too.
As a disclaimer, I'm still very much a beginner in the process of making herbal salves and potions. I was so excited about how this experiment turned out that I wanted to share it here, but this is not meant to be a tutorial. If you're looking for more specific instructions, find a local herbalist or check your library--there are lots of books with herbal recipes. I used Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health. You Grow Girl, by Gayla Trail also has a great recipe for an herbal balm for gardeners.
They look so beautiful and fresh Annie - quite easy to do, by the looks of it. Might have a go later when our calendula has flowered. xx
ReplyDeleteYour herbs are so beautiful when they are in that oil!! I have comfrey, plantain, yarrow, and red clover soaking in olive oil right now for making salves later on. :)
ReplyDeleteSo easy! I have no excuse for not trying this...
ReplyDelete