Thursday, July 7, 2011

Around the garden--celebrating sunshine

Finally, we've had a week of sun and temperatures above 70 degrees! The plants (and people) are soaking it up... 


 Cosmos and poppies are blooming.


The beans are climbing up their teepee. To the left there is cilantro that I let go to seed. I hope to gather some coriander eventually. The bees love it.


I think we just might have tomatoes before fall!


The chard and beets are so happy under their agribon--no leaf miner damage at all.  (I wrote about how I resisted using it here). I have to say I'm a complete convert!


Squash plants are getting big big big!

 We  have a few baby patty pans--soon they'll be coming out our ears!

And another bug sighting:
I have never seen these creatures before. My best guess is that they are green lacewings (mating?). It may simply be wishful thinking, for I would love to have a few "aphid lions" (as the larvae are known) in my garden. Any suggestions?  In any case, fascinating events happening in the garden this week!

4 comments:

  1. That agribon looks like a great investment for keeping your beets and chard free of pests! I may look into it for my cabbage...Do you have any squash vine borer problems with your squash plants? They always destroy my plants, and am definitely looking for suggestions to keep mine safe and alive! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TW--thanks for visiting! I haven't ever had a squash vine borer problem and don't have any experience with that particular bug--sorry! Our main squash problem is downy mildew later in the season. Good luck in your search for solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all that bounty! I love the photos of the poppies. I've never heard of an Agribon before, but I'm glad that it worked so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I especially like how you can see the squash-y fuzz in the patty pan photo. : )

    ReplyDelete