This is the view from our front stoop:
We don't usually spend much time in our front yard because there's a fair amount of traffic on our street and it's a bit loud and unsafe for toddler play. But the abundance of peas ready for harvest these days has nudged us out front more often--for picking and snacking and filling up baskets.
There are so many reasons to plant a vegetable garden in the front yard, but the one I'm most appreciating now is the opportunity for spontaneous hospitality. Being out front picking peas makes us available for quick chats with our neighbors, friendly nods to passersby, and even the sharing of fresh produce with new friends. I've heard it said that dogs and babies are great icebreakers. I would add to that list gardens.
This weekend, a neighbor woman I often see walking by stopped to say hi while my daughter and I were watering. We had smiled at one another on previous occasions, but I had never learned her name or shared a conversation. She commented on the peas and I encouraged her to come pick a few. While we picked peas together, we learned each others' names and shared a bit about ourselves. As she walked down the sidewalk, she promised to bring me some roses from her garden the next time she comes by. I felt so happy after that interaction.
A few days later, we were out front again and a good friend stopped to say hello as she was driving by. She loves peas and I told her to wait while I picked her some. She happened to have a container of freshly picked raspberries with her, and put them in my hands in exchange for the peas. I think we both felt like we got the better end of that trade. (My daughter was certainly thrilled about the exchange--and ate half the container right then and there)!
Gardens nourish our bodies with the produce they provide. But they also nourish us in more intangible ways. They nourish our relationships by opening up space and time to interact. They nourish our spirits by offering beauty, color, and texture, and by showing us the miracle of growth and transformation. They nourish our communities by creating opportunities to get to know and care for our neighbors. Aren't gardens wonderful? I am so grateful for the chance to tend one.
Your garden looks great, I must grow peas in our summer coming up, Berry fruit, lettuce, artichokes and herbs have been my own produce so far so I need to expand our garden. How neat to get that connection with your neighbours too.
ReplyDeleteYes! I love this post! It's funny to me that front yard gardens are considered "daring" by some, but I love them for all the reasons you mention.
ReplyDelete