It's amazing how my knitting time has shrunk to nearly nothing in the last few months. I suppose that's not unusual with a new baby in the house. But this new baby needs a warm hat ASAP, so I've been trying to work a few stitches here and there over the last few days. I'm using a strand of luxurious Debbie Bliss Andes (silk/alpaca) for softness, and a strand of Brown Sheep Lanaloft for sturdiness, held together in a simple improvised pattern that I hope will roughly match his head circumference. In the mean time he gets to wear his big sister's hand-me-down pink striped hat, which I suppose isn't so bad--I don't think he minds too much!
Reading time hasn't disappeared as completely as the knitting--still able to read a few pages after the preschooler has gone to bed, while the little one is nursing, or while walking him to sleep. I recently finished Kristin Lavransdatter with a combination of relief and grief over it's ending. Normally I would have been intimidated by its 1000+ pages, but the mountainous Norwegian setting, the quality of the writing, and the meaty drama (melodrama even?) kept me engrossed. It really is a beautiful and expansive book, if a bit dark and distressing at times. The author gets at the heart of universal human experience, or maybe more specifically the experience of women--birthing a child, nursing an infant, loving a father, a husband, a son, keeping vigil over a dying person.
I'm now on to a very different kind of book, (though interestingly, also written in the 1920's)--To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf. My husband gave me this book several years ago and I gave up on it after the first few pages. This time around I am still struggling, but determined to finish it. The subtlety, the sentences that last a whole page, the stream of consciousness writing are all rather difficult for my sleep-deprived, oft distracted brain. It's good mental exercise, though, right?
p.s.--
Joining Ginny for yarn along

He's just a bit too cute, I think! xx
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness, so a sweetheart. :)
ReplyDeletethe book you just finished sounds really interesting. wow.
and yes, your wee little guy does need a hat. :)
Annie, he's adorable!! What a sweet little guy. I hope things are developing into a bit of a rhythm these days. xoxo Kim
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous boy you have, love the vest. The hat colours look good hope it turns out alright.
ReplyDeleteHow sweet...I'm seeing Pebbles everywhere!
ReplyDeleteI love that pebble vest! And the color scheme of that first photo is pretty awesome too. :)
ReplyDeleteSuch a cutie in that pebble,vest! One of my favorite patterns. Did you make that beautiful quilt he's laying on?
ReplyDeleteOur old house is chilly, too. Always have my littlest in a vest in the cold. Just put up a new, easy fe pattern that my fit your little guy, if you'd like to try it out
http://www.larksongknits.com/2012/10/23/free-babytoddler-vest-pattern/
What a cute little baby, and the vest looks wonderful on him!
ReplyDeleteSo much cuteness in the picture, and the vest looks great. Love the yarns you are knitting that hat in, beautiful!
ReplyDelete