The photo above shows an improvised sensory bin I threw together with things we had around the house. I'm new to the concept of sensory tables/bins, so it was a lot of fun to go hunting around for supplies. I used some rice, cracked wheat, and kidney beans that had been forgotten at the back of the pantry, and added acorns, chestnuts, dried leaves, a piece of driftwood, some smooth stones, and a little ceramic cat for good measure. My three and a half year old loved using the tongs and scoops to explore the contents of the bin, and to feel the various textures. She really liked discovering the "buried treasure" kitty.
Tonight I removed the nuts and leaves and added several large wooden beads for her to find, sort and then thread onto a lace. I've found that a little prep in the evening after the kiddos are sleeping makes the mornings more peaceful. That way I have something up my sleeve for those "mommy, PLAY with me" moments, while my hands are filled with a baby, or I'm tied to a couch nursing, etc.
What's inspiring your rainy days this fall?
No comments:
Post a Comment