Tuesday, October 18, 2011

a cable hat

For yarn along this week I'm pulling another project from the archives. I wanted to share the finished raglan sweater for my daughter, but she has strong opinions about clothes (and everything else!) and has so far refused to put it on. We'll give it a little more time and see if we can't get a little photo shoot once she warms up to it. In the mean time, there's this...


...my first project with cables. I very regrettably lost my favorite hand-knit hat in the park last spring and needed a replacement quickly. So I found this pattern and used some of the hand-spun yarn I still have from my mom's spinning days. It's course and bulky and you can feel the lanolin in it--perfect for repelling rain and snow. The pattern is a great introduction to cables--I'd definitely recommend it.


I finally finished All Creatures Great and Small, after savoring it chapter by chapter over several weeks. Such perfect bed-time reading and I'm missing it so. (Just put the next book in the series on hold at the library!) But many more books are calling out to be read--right now my shelf is full of various herb references, reflecting my growing interest in all things herbal. I have to say I'm still looking for a favorite volume or author in this area...any suggestions?

Looking forward to more knitting and reading inspiration at Ginny's Yarn Along...

10 comments:

  1. I had to smile just a little when I read about your daughter not trying on her sweater as I have an 8 year old daughter that has some serious issues with clothing to. Socks, pants, underwear, you name it! If it doesn't feel right or look right she just won't wear it :) I hope she'll try it on for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful hat, I love the cables:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hat, I hadn't seen that pattern before but I love the cables. Sounds like the yarn is perfect for a hat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cabled hat. Every year I knit my 6 year old a lovely chunky sweater, and every year he refuses to wear it. Luckily it passes on to his year younger brother. I'm not giving up on him though....... Hope your daughter has a change of mind soon

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That hat is beautiful. Thanks for the link. Cables is something I haven't really tried yet. And boy, those herbal books look good - I can see my library list being added to daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice, cabled hat! Cables are fun, aren't they? :) In the herb category, I recommend that you google "Susun Weed" and watch some of her videos or go to her website and read. She is a brilliant lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My grandchildren are VERY VERY picky about their clothes, too! Hoping your daughter breaks down and tries her sweater--and loves it!!!!!
    Meanwhile, the hat is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've yet to try cables, maybe this is the pattern to take the plunge with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the hat, especially the cables. Cables are much easier that I thought they'd be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great cables. The hat is lovely. And great book selections

    ReplyDelete