Tuesday, October 4, 2011

my shalom




 (thank you to Dan for the photos!)

This post has been a long time in the making. I first fell in love with the Shalom cardigan after seeing Soulemama's post last year. I had never knit a sweater, but felt inspired to try, and loved the simple beauty and the fact that there were no seams on this one. (And the pattern is free! Found here). So I jumped in last fall, and finished in the spring. It sat waiting in a drawer through the summer until last week, when the chilly weather prompted me to bring it out to block (and wear!). I didn't make notes as I was knitting, unfortunately, and can't remember exactly what I did. But my gauge was a bit bigger than the pattern called for. This was ok with me, as I wanted a slightly larger size. I also left out the waist decreases. All this led to a fit that's bigger and more boxy than I had hoped for, but I think it falls into the "good enough" category. It is certainly warm and cozy enough for wearing, if not perfectly fitted. I love it's name--Shalom. Invokes a prayer-shawl quality, which suits it well. (Speaking of shawls, I've just been noticing all the beautiful criss-cross ones on the women of Larkrise lately--love them!)

A few specifics--I used Cascade Yarns 128 Chunky and US 10.5 circular needle. Full Ravelry notes here.

Wishing you all a Shalom-filled October! 
For more knitting inspiration, visit yarn-along at Small Things.

17 comments:

  1. So great! I love mine, too! I just made a mini version for my daughter. One of my fav patterns, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psst.. I'm in the PNW, too! Portland, OR

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Shalom as well as the buttons and your garden! I'm hoping to cast on one for me sometime this month. The color you chose really compliments the pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Well done on your Shalom, the buttons you picked are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that pattern, it's been in my queue for ages. Love the colour you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Annie! It's beautiful! Such a perfect blue! I predict you will get much use out of this sweater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! It does look snuggly and the color is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty. I love the blue you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It came out gorgeous! I never manage to knit a sweater for myself, always the kiddos. You've inspired me to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it!! Turned out really great and I love the buttons you used as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it's lovely! I've not seen that unusual design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did such a lovely job on the sweater! I love the color and it fits perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's really pretty and looks so lovely on you. where did you find those oak leaf buttons?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your first sweater! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to all for the kind words! Lori ann, I found the buttons at our great big fabric store Fabric Depot--I had been wanting to get some nice handmade ones, but kept putting it off and took the easy way out--but they are pretty, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your Shalom. I think yours might just have tipped the balance and now I need to queue it! :)

    ReplyDelete