Tuesday, September 6, 2011

yarn along: progress

For anyone looking for my Sept 28 yarn along post, please go here. I accidentally linked to this previous post on Ginny's site. Sorry for the inconvenience! 


Oh how I love knitting in the round! So quick and easy and portable. This sweater (Jane Richmond's Classic Raglan Pullover) has been a pure joy to knit. The yarn is deliciously soft and the deep plum color so rich and satisfying. A perfect complement to the oranges and golds of the season--our first winter squash harvested from the garden, the orange hue the sunlight has taken on, the marigolds and black-eyed susans still in bloom.

While perusing the library shelves this week, I came across All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot. I remember my mom (a true lover of animals) reading this book when I was a kid. I tried it myself but wasn't quite ready. This time around, though, I'm having trouble putting it down. So well written, funny, insightful. The characters (both human and animal) are delightful. And I think I'm feeling a bit of kinship with veterinarians since our bout of hen sickness last week.

For more knitting and reading inspiration, head over to Ginny's Yarn Along at Small Things.

15 comments:

  1. Love that colour, such a fantastically rich purple.

    I used to love James Herriot's books when I was younger. I remember asking my mum what an "un" was. She had no idea what I was talking about so I showed her the book and she laughed - the word was "little 'un" but I'd never heard that accent before, so I didn't understand what it said ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The purple is gorgeous. I have read the James Herriot series many times, in fact it has been a while so it might be due for a re reading, thank you for reminding me (I always sob at the sad bits though!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the other posters mentioned, that color is stunning. And it looks so soft too. I'm sure your daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom loved the books by James Herriot.

    That's a great color purple. What a sweet sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the purple!! It matches the shawl I just started :) I have never read that book and I think it will go on my to read list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colors in the sweater and the lavender; the photo is great! I have enjoyed James Herriot's book also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a beautiful sweater! Love that color!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely yarn, it'll look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how is dolly faring? oviduct prolapse doesn't look like a comfortable thing at all! :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. TW--Dolly is doing much better now--thanks for asking! No eggs yet though...we'll see how her body handles that task when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sweater looks lovely and I know what you mean about knitting in the round!

    ReplyDelete
  12. love, love, love, love....the color. with the little sprigs of lavender...couldn't be more perfect in my book!

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a gorgeous colour - the colour of the hills around here just now. And I so love James Herriot books. I remember sitting by the fire reading them as a teenager. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have that book on my shelf! I think I need to read it. Beautiful purple by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a lovely pullover it'll be to wear in the Fall & Winter! And the yarn color, stunning!!

    ReplyDelete