Tuesday, September 27, 2011

catching up

 It's been a little while since I've posted here. The funny thing about blogging is that it can become a bit of a compulsion. When I first started this blog, I found it to be a wonderful exercise in taking time to see the world around me, and to share those visions with friends. But lately I realized I was getting caught in the trap of wanting to photograph and document everything, rather than appreciating the beauty fully in the present moment. So I took a break from documenting, and it has been refreshing. I do still love this crazy medium of self-expression called the blog, though. And it has been such a fun way to connect with lovely people across the world, so I couldn't stay away for too long. Here are a few of the happenings 'round here since I've been away...

 We harvested our winter squash, and what a satisfying job it was! Our very first success with this wonderful crop. This was our giant butternut that I felt sure was at least 10 lbs (weighed in at a mere 5 lbs--guess I'm not that great at estimating weight!). I think I will turn it into a soup tonight. Any favorite butternut soup recipes out there?

 I've been branching out with the backyard tea herbs--mint, lavender, coriander, and calendula all make lovely additions.

 Finally blocked my Shalom sweater that I finished this spring when it was too warm to wear it. Hopefully more pictures coming soon!

 Trying my hand at creating kimchi for the first time. Leah over at the Adventure Learning Company has a wonderful tutorial here.  I used the daikon radishes we planted in late summer, and garlic from the garden, along with cabbage, onion, and carrots from the farmer's market (and ginger from very far away). I have my fingers crossed that I gave those lactobacilli the proper environment to thrive--we'll see in a few days.

And I'm very excited about finally tackling the task of making lotion. I have been slowly working away at finding natural, low-cost alternatives to artificial chemical-laden body-care products, and I think this one is a success. I took inspiration from Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health and from Amanda Soule's new book The Rhythm of Family, tweaked the recipe to use what I had on hand, and was amazed when it actually worked! The best part is that all the ingredients are basically edible--water, cocoa butter, beeswax, olive oil, vitamin E, a few drops of essential oil, and a few herbs from the garden. So satisfying!

Wishing you all a lovely autumn!

6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I hear you on some of the weirdness that comes with blogging. I think it's similar to those who do lots of scrapbooking - you start seeing the entire world in two page layouts. You have been up to some VERY fun things while you were away. I can't wait to see more of the Shalom! That one is in my knitting queue as well. And your kimchi looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the kimchi turns out well!
    The shalom sweater is looking great. I'm in awe, as I'm still working my way up to sweater-knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, thanks for the kimchi wishes! I'm sure you'd have no problem with the Shalom. It's a perfect first sweater pattern--it was my first. It's totally seamless, no sleeves unless you want to add them, the pattern is simple and the yarn/needles are big, so it goes fast. Very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been busy and enjoying life. That is good. I struggle at times with the whole blogging thing too - it can be a huge time waster, sucking you into its vortex. On the other hand, I find it inspiring and refreshing to look at & read other blogger's posts. Just need to balance things out.

    Kimchi sounds interesting and love that lotion. Just have to set time aside to do it. Did you buy certain supplies from a specialty place or just at the grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ellen--yes, it is all about finding the balance! And re. the lotion supplies--I found the cocoa butter and beeswax (a 100% beeswax candle) at our local grocer New Seasons. You could probably find these things at a natural foods store or co-op if you have one. Otherwise, http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/ is a great place to find everything you need for herbal remedies and body care.

    ReplyDelete