Wednesday, September 28, 2011

a special vest

I thought I'd do something a little different for the yarn along theme this week by sharing a piece made by my late mother. Recently when I was back "home" at my dad's house, I came upon some wonderful knitted treasures. My mom was an avid spinner and knitter, and a skilled keeper of sheep. Over the years she bred her flock to bring out the softest wool and a whole palette of natural colors.


This vest is one I don't remember seeing my mom wear, and it has been tucked away in a drawer for years. But isn't it beautiful? The yarn is hand-spun from one of the brown sheep. I love all the texture in the different patterns. The edging on the collar was a little funny when I found it, but after a gentle washing, it settled down nicely. 

 

Now that the weather is getting chilly, I've been reaching for this vest and finding so much warmth and comfort as I put it on. It fits just right, and knowing that my mom's hands cared for the sheep from which this wool was sheered, spun that wool, and knit each stitch gives me a deep sense of connection with her. Many years ago, toward the end of my mother's life, she expressed the desire to leave a legacy. What better way to do that than through these beautiful handcrafted clothes, and the values of self-sufficiency, industry and patience they represent?

For more yarn-along inspiration, visit Small Things.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my! That is just exquisite. What a special legacy indeed. Thank you for sharing your Mum's story. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful vest and such a beautiful story behind it too! It is truly very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stitch definition is exquisite!! Beautiful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful post in memory of your mom. I'm sorry that she's not around to see you appreciate her handiwork and so much more. It really is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That vest is so incredibly beautiful. A vest that literally was made "from scratch". Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete