~Annie Dillard, from A Pilgrim at Tinker Creek
Last weekend we took a quick let's-make-the-most-of-the-last-days-of-summer trip to Bend, OR, my beloved home town. I've been pining for a chance at my favorite hike to Green Lakes in the Three Sisters Wilderness for the last three years (since pregnancy and babe limited mountain excursions a bit). This weekend, we finally got the chance and the gods smiled upon us. Perfect weather, good health, agreeable toddler, and only a little trouble finding a parking place at the trailhead. Our day couldn't have been more perfect.
I'm so happy to have a Heidi-style photo of my little one up here on top of the world in one of my very favorite places. She was such a champ on this 9 mile hike. Rode in the backpack most of the way, but didn't complain a bit, which is very unusual. Maybe she has her mama's affinity for sub-alpine scenery.
There were even a few wildflowers left. I think this was the first time I saw Indian Paintbrush all year. This is South Sister, the aptly named southern-most peak of the Three Sisters in the Central Oregon Cascade Range. I grew up with these mountains always on the skyline to the west of town, like strong and benevolent aunties watching over my coming and going. After we were home, I asked my daughter if she remembered the name of the mountain we hiked to. She replied, "Sister-Mountain." I liked that name very much and I think it might stick. My love for these mountains and this place has become deep and grounding, like that for an older sister.
There were several little stream crossings. My daughter is very interested in the concept of bravery lately, and this crossing earned the declaration, "Daddy was BRAVE!"
The trail follows Fall Creek, which cuts through the pine and fir forest,
tumbles over several waterfalls,
and is flanked by a stunning volcanic rock flow up toward the end of the trail. Lots of shiny black obsidian catching the sun. The water is so clear and ice-cold--it truly deserves the designation pristine.
I don't have a large family, and my parents moved a thousand miles away from our extended family when I was a babe. I've struggled at times in my life to gain a sense of belonging, and loneliness has been a common companion. But I've been blessed to have had the chance to develop strong bonds to place, and particularly this place. To my Sister-Mountain. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to have experienced the deep sense of connection that comes from solitary time in the wilderness. One of my greatest hopes for my daughter is that she will find her own special places, hike her own paths through the wilderness, and develop bonds with her own sister-mountain.







Thank you for sharing such wonderful photographs. What an incredibly awe-inspiring view to have. I think I can inhale the fresh air right through the computer screen (okay, maybe not). And this was your hometown? Did you appreciate it hen as much as you do now? I find that I really like portions of the little town that I grew up in now much more than I did when I was younger. Oh, and as for the quince yarn - I've only just started using it so I haven't formed an opinion yet. However, I really like the very flat colors of their line.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are lovely! I've never seen Indian Paintbrush before...it is so pretty! As for sister-mountain, it's so coincidental because one of my good friends who now lives in Portland (she is from MI where I am) just posted a bunch of photos of her and her friends on the very same trio of mountains! :)
ReplyDeleteEllen--yes, this was my hometown, and I did appreciate it as a kid, more than some of my friends, but not as much as I do now, after seeing some other parts of the world and realizing what a unique place it is. Keep me posted on the Quince yarn!
ReplyDeleteah, Oregon! how I love this place on earth! :) Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos, they remind me yet again why we love to visit over and over and over each year!
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting O.R. mama--glad you enjoyed the photos (quite a complement from someone who lives in your beautiful neck of the woods!)
ReplyDelete