Sunday, September 9, 2012

meet Polka



I made this little doll in the last month of my pregnancy with the intention of providing a companion for big sister, upon the arrival of baby brother. Alas, natural-fiber-made-with-love doll has been mostly cast aside in favor of store-bought, mass-produced polyester teddy bear. We try, right?

It was a fun project, nonetheless, and encouraging to find that I indeed could make a doll! Not as hard as I thought, though I did have some trouble attaching the head, and sewing on the hair. I'm still not satisfied with the hair--if anyone has tips, I'm all ears.

The pattern (Joy's Waldorf Dolls 13" Little Love Doll) and the few specialized supplies necessary are from A Child's Dream Come True.  The fabric I had in my stash, and I used leftover wool from my pillow project as stuffing (purchased from Woolgatherer Carding Mill ). I do so love that wool!

My daughter did finally decide on a name...so Polka it is, and she will sit patiently on her little chair till big sister (or maybe even little brother?) decides to pick her up once more. 

4 comments:

  1. Polka is absolutely lovely! I have yet to sew a doll. Perhaps someday when I have children I'll be more inclined to do so. I look forward to it! :) Thanks for sharing, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Polka is lovely. I made one for my daughter this year for her birthday. I used this tutorial to sew the hair and I am pretty pleased with how it turned out here is a picture of her

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh now she is very very sweet! What a friendly face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so sweet! Just discovering your lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete