Sunday, April 1, 2012

intention







Photos taken at Portland Japanese Garden.

At a recent yoga class I attended, the instructor spoke briefly about the importance of intention--of starting your day, or your practice, or your labor (this was a prenatal class) with a single focus. For the next week I spent an extra minute in bed every morning contemplating my intention, and then writing a single word at the top of my to-do list for the day. Surrender, compassion, patience...

Seeing that word and being reminded of my intention throughout the day made a real difference in my perspective. I was more likely to take an extra breath before losing my temper, or giving into exasperation. It helped to bring meaning to mundane tasks, and provided a framework in choosing activities for the day.

A very small thing, but powerful, and manageable for a busy mama.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Annie, I just discovered your lovely blog. We are about to get some hens too, it's very exciting! Hope you are having a nice (and intentional) day. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! Good luck with your hens--they are so much fun!

      Delete
  2. Annie, this post is great, thanks for sharing, I am going to give this practice a go - of having intention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very wise words. It is a struggle to have that intention when things outside you're control are harried. Lovely garden. Wish we lived closer to visit. I really like the steps. I can see why the visit there would refresh the visitor.

    ReplyDelete