Tuesday, April 10, 2012

yarn along: basket, eggs, and a pebble

Ah, finally a week of knitting progress. I played copycat to Ginny and made a very quick felted basket and set of Easter eggs just in time for Sunday morning. (Ravelry notes here.) Loved the patterns for both--very simple and satisfying. And they met approval by the littlest resident of the household, which is most important.  I've also been working on the Pebble vest and enjoying this yarn--feels almost like a handspun. 

Does anyone have favorite soaker or longie patterns that really work (i.e. stay on and don't leak)? I've never used wool diaper covers, but would like to try on this coming babe.

I just started re-reading Fukuoka's One Straw Revolution after finishing From the Land and Back--what a great read. Has me thinking about community, simplicity, sustainability, and the value of useful, satisfying, physical work. About how our modern culture got to where it is now, and wondering whether/how it's possible to change the course we're on. Topics I think a lot about...and this book articulates many of my thoughts so well, and provides a historical context for them. I've seen a few good movies relating to these topics over the past few months--

Maybe one day soon I'll be ready to do a post to articulate all the thoughts swirling around in my head on these topics...for now, happy knitting!

Joining with Ginny for Yarn Along

7 comments:

  1. Love the colour of your yarn, and your books really intrigue me, I will be adding them to my growing list.

    Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the colour of your Pebble. Those books and films sound really interesting. I look forward to reading your post on the subject! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pebble is looking nice. Thanks for the book recommendations. I love Wednesdays to see what everybody is reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the book suggestions. I had jotted down the name One Straw Revolution but forgot to write down the author. this will help my search at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the nubby texture of this yarn for the pebble. Is it gray or blue? It's hard to tell with the lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes that yarn looks yummy! I cloth diaper my little one and have had good success with the sheepy pants! Great instructions and lots of variations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do so love that yarn :) it's a lovely color and I love the texture. I am waiting for the post when you reveal all those swirling thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete