The keynote speaker was Kristin Kimball,the author of A Dirty Life. She and her husband have a farm in New York that provides a full diet, year round CSA to about 200 members, with the goal of supplanting the grocery store. Her speaking was just as engaging as her writing, and the scale of what her family is undertaking is truly daunting and revolutionary (or just old-fashioned, I guess). And I love the way she looks at farming through a poet's eyes.
I also heard a presentation on incorporating permaculture principles into the small farm by Don Tipping, who owns Seven Seeds Farm in Southern Oregon. He and his family grow food for a CSA cooperative, and open-pollinated seed for other farmers and gardeners.
Don spoke about the importance of observing nature, of noticing her patterns, and working with those patterns in our endeavors to grow food and support our human culture. I love patterns...how nature repeats design elements in organisms, objects and systems from the microscopic to the cosmic.
He also spoke about the need for a "social permaculture" in which we cultivate healthy, sustainable relationships within our communities. What good is sustainable agriculture if our loved ones are neglected or overworked in pursuit of this goal? Will our children find our way of farming compelling? Will they embrace it themselves when they are grown, or will they toss it aside in favor of ease and convenience?
Whenever I hear stories of people who are actually doing something I only dream of doing, I find myself wondering what it is in their outlook and attitude that makes this possible. Have they been merely lucky in accidents of birth and circumstance, opportunities in education, or connections with the right people? Sometimes. But more often these people who are living their dreams have a certain resiliency of spirit, an incredible work ethic, a buoyancy that keeps them afloat amidst trial and adversity.
Kristin Kimball cited a quote from Wendell Berry's Manifesto: Mad Farmer Liberation Front: "Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts."
Yes, I think that's what my soul needs to hear right now, and to remember each day...

Sounds like an amazing conference. I loved A Dirty Life. It was so inspiring. If it means anything, I find what you do on your little patch of dirt very inspiring. And these photos are amazing.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I've sent an award your way today on my blog. x
Oh thank you, Greer! You are so kind!
Delete