Tuesday, May 29, 2012

of broccoli and dragonflies

We realized yesterday that the broccoli was ready for harvest. And what a satisfying harvest--our first real success with this crop.


Somehow the broccoli made it to maturity without being completely devoured by chickens or cabbage worms, and the aphids haven't hit them yet. We steamed it lightly and dressed with the tiniest bit of lemon juice, and oh was it delicious! So dark green and tender, it felt so much more nutritious than store-bought broccoli.

We planted the broccoli inside on Feb 18, then transplanted outside under plastic on April 16, with 1/4 cup feather meal for nitrogen, 1 TBLS lime for calcium, and 1/3 cup complete organic fertilizer for good measure. The plants thrived with this regimen. The heads weren't giant, but they seemed very healthy.

We've been seeing ladybugs and dragonflies around the garden--such welcome friends (for the aphids have arrived, too). The one above landed on Dan's hand in the process of eating some sort of little bug meal. Bon appetit!

6 comments:

  1. Such lovely broccoli! Visiting by way of the Barefoot Crofter. I've noticed an abundance of butterflies this year, it feels different than years past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delish!!! We have never had luck with broccoli in our neck of the woods, maybe time to try again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, we almost gave up on broccoli after several years of problems, but I have to say this year made it all worth it--best of luck if you decide to try again!

      Delete
  3. I love pretty much everything in that cookbook. I had my first massaged kale salad (ever) this winter. I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how you captured that beautiful dragonfly on film. So so pretty and delicate with all the blue and black. Yay for broccoli. I tried broccoli once - it takes quite a bit of room, and we ended up with some lovely cabbage worms. My father (who loves to veggie garden) says to pull the leaves over the heads - I think it was meant to keep the butterflies from landing in the middle and laying eggs?? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete