The gray winter rains have brought me quite a case of the doldrums, and a state of creative inertia and mental sluggishness seems to have settled in with the fog. So it was with great relief that I finally found the resolve to pick up the knitting needles again today, after a trip to the yarn shop to find something suitable for a pair of Saartje bootees. I knit a pair of these for a friend's Christmas babe, and they really are the cutest thing ever. Even my husband couldn't stop commenting on how darling they were. So I thought I'd knit another pair for a February babe on the way.
And as an antidote to the mental sluggishness, I've started reading Middlemarch. I was worried that I might get bogged down by the 800 pages, but oh what a wonderful book--I have a hard time closing it each night before bed. (Great article about it in the New Yorker last year). George Eliot was a woman of such keen insight into human character and society. Highly highly recommend!
Visit yarn along for more knitting and reading inspiration...
oh I love Middlemarch! I read it all through my first pregnancy and it was perfect.
ReplyDeleteGood luck breaking through the grey!
I hate times of mental/craft sluggishness. Hope it passes very soon! Love the yarn for the booties, great colour :)
ReplyDeleteAgh! You'll have to post your finished product! The yarn looks lovely. ...and I will have to request that book at the library! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful color you've chosen for those little booties. What a lucky babe! I hope that a little knitting is just what was needed to lift your spirits. I read Middlemarch twice (!) in college. There is so much of it that has stayed with me over the years. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I haven't knit these yet! Thanks for reminding me. :)
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Debbie
I LOVE the Saartjes bootees. And that green is divine!
ReplyDeleteOh I love George Eliot!
ReplyDeleteI don't knit very well but I love to read:) thank you so much for the book recommendation!
ReplyDelete