Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Felted Christmas Slippers
Now that these slippers have been given and received and there's no secret left to keep, I thought I'd share them here for yarn along today. They were an experiment, and I didn't have very high hopes that they'd actually become usable footwear, much less well-loved, perfectly-fitting (well, close), warm, cozy slippers, but that's indeed what they became! I wrapped them up and put them under the tree before felting them so that my husband could witness the transformation (pre-felting, they looked like I had knit them for a giant), and so that he could wear them around to shape them while they were wet.
The pattern is great--I followed it without making any changes and the sizing turned out just right.
And reading...I'm so boring these days. I still just can't get enough of James Herriot (All Things Wise and Wonderful now). I'm thinking of trying to tackle Middlemarch next. My daughter has really loved Jan Brett's new book Home for Christmas--a sort of winter Swedish troll version of the prodigal son story, with the most beautiful illustrations, and vocabulary and story line that satisfies the adults as well as the preschoolers.
Now a question for all you yarn-alongers out there. I'm fairly new to knitting sweaters, and with my last several sweater projects have been so disappointed at the pilling that occurs within days of wearing the completed sweaters. Is this inevitable? Preventable? Possible to remedy once it's happened? Have you found particular yarn or brands that pill less? It never seemed to happen with my mom's handspun wool. It's so satisfying to complete a project that can actually be worn, but it seems hardly worth it when the garment becomes so pilled that it's not suitable to be worn in public. Any advice?
Pop on over to Small Things for more yarn along inspiration!
Labels:
knitting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love the slippers! Thanks so much for the link as I would love to knit a pair.
ReplyDeleteI am no help with the sweater question as I have only knit one in my life, but there are some experienced ladies out there that should be able to help.
I love the slippers, I had planned to make some too but did not get to it. I have no idea on the sweater problem. I have a pile of sweaters waiting to be shaved at the moment. Some are homemade but some are Gap and Ann Taylor and they are just as pilly so not sure this is exclusive problem to hand knitteds. Hope someone has an answer for you.
ReplyDeleteI wasn't able to get into the BBC adaptations of James Herriot at all. I wonder if I'd like the actual books better. Hmm...think I'll have to try it and find out at some point.
ReplyDeleteJNCL
The Beauty of Eclecticism
Those slippers are wonderful! I have a bundle of wool in my craft bag that are itching to come out be crafted into the pair! Thanks for the inspiration!!
ReplyDeleteAmazing slippers! I have always wanted to try this, you have made it sound so easy.
ReplyDeleteThanks
I made felted slippers, too, for Christmas, but I want to try the pattern you used for a grown-up pair--they look great!
ReplyDeleteAnd I must say, I am in love with your toddler's ringlets! My dad has curly hair, but not one of my six kids got that gene!
I made slippers too. Your pattern is great. And having your husband walk around while they're still wet was ingenious. I didn't think of that for my pairs. In terms of pilling, I pulled out my copy of The Knitter's Book of Yarn and it says (as I sort of guessed), "pills are caused by the tiny ends of fiber that don't get completely tucked in during the spinning process. With normal friction, these tiny ends begin to work their way loose from the fabric. They catch on one another and become increasingly enmeshed until they produce a "pill" of loose fibers on the fabric surface. Shorter fibers need more twist to keep all those ends from working their way out; longer fibers don't need as much twist because they have fewer ends." The author goes on to say that some yarns (obviously) are better suited for clothing vs accessories, etc. She also says to test the potential for pilling by knitting up a test swatch and washing it and subjecting it to normal wear and tear. I don't know how you would do the latter with a little swatch of fabric :) - throw it in your purse? But I know knitting a swatch before knitting is always a challenge for me...
ReplyDeleteShe also says consider the fiber of the skein. Merino, cashmere, angora... - shorter ends; Bluefaced Leicester, mohari, alpaca, silk, synthetics... - longer ends (less pilling).
Hope that very long-winded comment helps.
Love the slippers -- so pretty and cosy!
ReplyDeleteGuess I'm boring too b/c I adore James Herriott's books and have read them over and over. There's something so reassuring and comforting about them, and they're so funny too. We have been happy to discover some of the old BBC TV adaptations on Netflix streaming. Jan Brett is a big fave around here too. Aren't her illustrations amazing and so charming?! Love the colorwork knits in her books -- inspiring ;).
Blessings,
G
The slippers are delightful and look so warm and cosy.............I use alot of cotton or cotton mix yarns in my knitting, and these don't seem to have the same pilling problems as wool (wool's a little scratchy for me to wear).
ReplyDeleteThe slippers are great. I'm having the same pilling problem here on a sweater I made...hoping to avoid in the future.
ReplyDeleteLovely slippers! We got that Jan Brett book this Christmas, too, and it was a big hit -- so sweet!
ReplyDeleteLove those slippers! I haven't been brave enough to knit some of those yet but you have given me courage! I have always loved the Jmes Herriot books and Middlemarch is on my list to read. I just may need to join you!
ReplyDeleteThose look like two cozy hugs for cold feet!! I can't wait to knit my first pair. (I'm a beginner...)
ReplyDeleteagh! those slippers are so cute and SO cozy looking!! i love the blue.
ReplyDeleteGreat slippers. I am on the lookout for slipper patterns now in this much colder new house of ours. Perhaps I shall have my first attempt at felting after your success here!
ReplyDeletere: pilling. Are you using acrylic? I would use a superwash wool. IMO, they pill less. Or do I have it backward? Oh and handwash vs machine wash! Hope that was of some help!
ReplyDeleteso cute, they look so soft and warm!
ReplyDelete