Thursday, June 23, 2011

Around the garden

Taking a peek around the garden with Farmama again this week...


I've been so interested in the diversity of bugs and insects and critters in the garden this year. Along with the standard aphids, slugs, and cabbage worms, I've also been finding dragon flies, spiders, all manner of bees...


...and lady bugs. (there's also an out-of-focus daddy long legs in that photo--another garden friend). At the start of spring, my potted spearmint was attacked by aphids. I had planned to dispose of it, thinking it was too far gone. But then I noticed a lady bug and decided to see what would happen.  Now, the mint is still alive (and thriving!) and the aphids are gone (or at least controlled).

I'm beginning to change my thinking about garden pests. I used to feel that I was at war with the aphids and slugs and myriad other creatures out to devour our precious plants. Slowly I am beginning to see that it's not so much a war as a delicate, complex balance. And my job is to nurture an environment that tips the scale ever so slightly in our favor, (or maybe, to do as little as possible to disturb the balance that already exists in nature).

The bit of warmth and sun we had on the solstice encouraged the heat loving plants to bloom and grow.

Poppies popped!


I am so pleased with these cheerful french marigolds that grew from seed I saved last year. My mother always saved marigold seeds, and it feels good to carry on the tradition. The tomatoes are growing well, too! (We need to get them staked or trellised...we want to try something other than cages this year, but not sure what).


The front yard peas are going crazy--so delightful to pick them as we walk up the front path.


Lavender is blooming! I can't wait to start using this lovely herb in all kinds of concoctions. I'm especially eager to try the Lavender Lemonade posted by Heather at Beauty that Moves. I'm hoping to make some herbal balms and salves and lotions and potions this summer, too. Any recommendations or favorite resources/books on this topic?

Happy farming and gardening!

5 comments:

  1. Great shots! Those poppies are beautiful! I am eager to try that Lavender Lemonade too. Here is our garden link inspired by Farmama too:

    http://littlebirdvv.blogspot.com/2011/06/around-garden-inspired-by-farmama.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you via beautythatmoves. What lovely garden shots. This year, our garden is only potted veggies on the back deck. Boo, but at I am grateful for that at least! Love how you planted the peas I'm assuming in the front yard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellen--thank you! Yes, that is the front yard. We outgrew our backyard this year and made the leap to plant veggies in the front. So glad we did! And yes, even potted veggies on the back deck are cause for celebration and gratitude! Have you seen the book You Grow Girl? It's very inspiring for gardening in small spaces (including pots)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much beauty in this post. Especially those poppies and that dragon fly. I too have a new interest in the little critters that I'm now noticing in our backyard. We have a little "prairie patch" and we have so many different kinds of dragon flies. I keep meaning to photograph them, but I always have a baby in my arms. :) Glad that you stopped by my blog and led me here! It's delightful to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cpcable--lovely to "meet" you too! My husband is from the midwest and one of my favorite memories from visiting was a trip to the arboretum prairie. I felt like I was in all my favorite pioneer books--Little House, My Antonia...so beautiful. I'm glad you have your own patch, complete with bugs!

    ReplyDelete