A little dress...
And a banner would get us feeling festive...
Now, when will all those special guests arrive for the party?
The guests did arrive, and we all had a lovely time. We're so thankful to have really wonderful neighbors with whom to share day-to-day life (and celebrations!)
A few details on the projects:
A tutorial for the birthday crown can be found at Frontier Dreams.
The dress is my first attempt at such a garment--I used a very simple $2.99 pattern--McCalls M6261, and fabric I found at SCRAP and a garage sale. It is a little rough (especially the sleeves!) but so fun to actually complete a dress for my daughter. I still have some of the dresses my mom made for me as a little girl, and I so loved wearing them. Unfortunately, my little girl is very particular about her wardrobe at the moment (she'd really rather wear nothing at all), and when I tried to put it on her, she started screaming and wouldn't stop until I took it off. Not even the prospect of cherry pockets tempted her. Nor the puffed sleeves (she doesn't know about Anne of Green Gables yet). Oh well. It's a little big, anyway...maybe she'll warm up to it by summer time. Such are the hazards of sewing for one's children!
The banner/garland is inspired by several variations I've seen on blogs and in friends' homes. Here are a few of the blogs that inspired me:
I created my version with some garage sale quilt squares, which simplified the cutting--I just cut each square on the diagonal, sewed right sides together, turned right side out, pressed, and then sewed each triangle into an extra-wide double fold bias tape. I love the fabric--sort of vintage country--so bright and cheerful. The squares have found their way into several other projects, including some little pants pockets and these potholders.And the recipe for carrot cake can be found here.
Wishing everyone happy birthday sewing in the coming year!


Lovely, lovely post, Annie!
ReplyDeleteI'm going to make one of those charming chapeaus for ME!!
Wouldn't the world be a magical place if all of us walked around wearing one of those crowns?
Happy 2nd Birthday, Little Curley Top!
Your Mama is making happy memories happen for you! I hope you'll consider wearing your new dress soon!
I did notice your banners when I was there and was duly impressed.
ReplyDelete