Friday, January 7, 2011

Our Granola

We eat a lot of granola year round, but these cold winter mornings are a perfect time for hearty breakfasts (and lunches, and snacks). I've seen several blog posts with yummy granola recipes, so I wanted to share ours. It's a modification of a recipe from my mother-in-law. We make it every week or so, and I love it because it's tasty, not the least bit fussy, and adapts well to whatever ingredients we have on hand. It is very simple, but a little spice or special dried fruit will make it fancy enough for a neighborly gift.

Our Granola
(Makes enough to fill a 2 quart mason jar, with a little left over for snacking on)

5 cups rolled oats (or other grain)
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix above ingredients, then add:
1/2 cup water or apple juice
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil

Mix well and spread on two cookie sheets. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every twenty minutes. Add raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruit after the baked granola has cooled.
You can be creative with the nuts and seeds--adding whatever sounds good. I sometimes sprinkle with cinnamon, too.
You may need to experiment with oven temp and cooking time till you achieve a nice golden brown color.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment