Sunday, November 21, 2010

Frost

We woke up to our first frost of the season this morning.

At the moment, the sky is pouring giant flakes of wet slushy snow all over our little corner of the world--a unique brand of precipitation my husband describes as "gross." It is weather we just don't want to be out in, unless we're feeling the need for some character-building or penitence. So, a good time for warm and cozy indoor activities--knitting, sewing, cooking, baking, building forts and reading books. Lucky me, today was declared a good day for some daddy-daughter time, so my husband and daughter took care of the forts and books while I got to do a little kitchen and craft work.  Dinner tonight includes two dishes from my favorite cook book, Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. Every recipe we try from this book is simple, delicious, nutritious, and makes great left-overs. Tonight we're having Cynthia's split pea soup and massaged kale salad. The kale is just divine--and feels so hearty and nutritious without being bitter or heavy like cooked kale can sometimes be.
My husband made a delicious scramble for brunch today with our happy hen eggs and leeks and peppers we picked up at Zenger Farm yesterday at their harvest market. We've been wanting to do a self-guided tour there, and I'm so glad we finally made it out for a visit.We were so inspired by the healthy, spacious fields and free-range chickens at this "working urban farm that models, promotes and educates about sustainable food systems, environmental stewardship, community development and access to good food for all." I highly recommend a field trip here for any Portland-area folks.
Wishing warm and cozy times to you all as the cold weather settles in!

2 comments:

  1. Annie! I love your blog. So good to read your thoughts and see little snippets of your life. I'm looking forward to keeping up with you this way.

    P.S. If I send you the pictures for my blog posts, will you write the commentary? You are very articulate and thoughtful in your writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you Kim! You are a sweetheart. I'm glad we can share a bit of life this way, too.

    ReplyDelete