Tuesday, November 8, 2011

twining trees, twining lives


We had a big anniversary and a big birthday here last weekend, so lots of warmth and celebration to revel in. A month or so ago I came upon this lovely post by Heidi with her own beautiful twining trees panel and fell in love with the design. (Original pattern here.)  I couldn't have found a more perfect anniversary gift. It's a pattern that requires full attention, which is difficult with a toddler in the house. But it was a good challenge for me--felt like a puzzle, and exercised parts of my brain that have been neglected of late.


I actually ended up making two, as the yarn I chose for the first one turned out to mask the design. The yarn I used in the second piece was in the form of several tiny bits left over from my mom's spinning days. Every time I use my mom's yarn, I feel such a connection to her. I heard an interview recently (can't remember who it was now) in which it was said that creating something by hand is one of the best gifts you can give your children. I've found that to be so true in my life. Holding an object created by my late mother's hands somehow gives a tangible heft to my memories of her. Bridges the "then" with the "now."

On the reading front, we've been drowning in books lately. Too many good ones to choose from. Simplicity Parenting finally came available for me at the library, and I definitely agree with all the positive reviews. Kathy recently wrote a post on the author's concept of "soul fever" that I really appreciated. But my favorite bedtime reading is still James Herriot (on to All things Bright and Beautiful now). My husband has been enamored with the book Teaming with Microbes  (mumbling words like actinomycetes and mycorrhizae under his breath as he reads). It truly is fascinating to learn about the incredible life and synergy and activity taking place in the soil (when that soil is not rendered lifeless with pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and tilling). And my daughter is enjoying a random library find--Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin. It does a fabulous job of capturing the personality of different instruments, and the writing itself has a musical quality to it. Lots of counting, rhyming, and tongue twisting, too ("the flute, that slender silver sliver").

I also discovered an interesting series on our public broadcasting station called Craft in America. The first episode, with a profile of woodworker Sam Maloof, was particularly inspiring. It articulates so well the value that crafts-people find in doing their craft, in creating objects of beauty to use in daily life. I believe art is valuable for art's sake, but the concept of craft--of combining beauty with usefulness--has always resonated with the pragmatist in me.

Do visit Ginny at Small Things for more reading and stitching inspiration!

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful anniversary gift and even more special that you were able to use some of the yarn you had from your mother :) I love the simplicity parenting book to. I've read half of it so far but then I had to return it to the library so I'm anxiously awaiting my turn to borrow it again *grin*. Happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful! I have to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is beautiful. I will have to give that book a looky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have Zin Zin on our shelf! The tree panel is lovely, and I like the branch that you used to display it. Such a memorable gift in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Annie--I found your blog through your comment on Leah's last blog post this morning. That panel is just beautiful. Good job!

    I agree that there is something so special about handmade gifts. My husband and I have found that making gifts has turned our Christmases and birthdays from hum-drum into something truly memorable. How lovely that you were able to use your mom's yarn to make a gift for someone else, and therefore combine both her love and yours into one object. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read James Herriot in a long time. Maybe it is time to revive that series! The Twining Trees is gorgeous. What a beautiful anniversary gift and I especially love the memories of your mother twined into it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a gorgeous gift, love the design
    happy days to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and thoughtul design, lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen that design before and love it. Great job, and I hope that your toddler lets you finish it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this so much, what a beautiful gift, i have to make one too. i love your memories of your mother, how special to have some of her spun wool. this is such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful design! I have a bit of a "thing" for trees, I must admit.

    ReplyDelete