Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tribute to Crimson Clover

This weekend I composted the last of the crimson clover. I discovered this plant two years ago when I learned about cover crops, and I've grown to love it more and more each changing season. If it has any negative trait, I have yet to discover it. It is altogether helpful, wholesome, benevolent. The seed is inexpensive and can be purchased at most local garden stores or from mail order seed catalogs. In the fall, after harvesting summer crops, we toss it onto the bare soil and gently work it in with a fork, or not, depending on how much time we have. The seed sprouts and establishes roots, hunkering down for a long winter's dormancy. It tolerates our mild winters with a bit of wilting, then grows vigorously through early spring, cheering us with new growth when most everything else is still sleeping.  All this time, it captures nitrogen from the air and fixes it into the soil where other plants can make use of it. It provides fresh nutritious greens for the chickens, and thus nutritious eggs for us. It also keeps our soil from eroding and washing away with the winter rains, and prevents weeds from invading. In April and May, the vibrant crimson flowers bloom, offering food for the bees and beauty for the people. And finally, before planting our summer crops, we add it to the compost, where it becomes organic matter to feed the soil once more. So much goodness from such a humble plant. Thank you crimson clover!

No comments:

Post a Comment