It has been fun to see my family's little stash of hand-made warm things grow this season.
I already shared this earflap hat, but here's another photo with it in use, along with a little pair of mittens:
The mittens were so quick to make. I used my mom's hand spun yarn from one of her black sheep and the Basic Cuff-Up Mittens pattern. The first time we went out and I saw those little mittens on those little hands, actually functioning to keep out the cold (at least when said mittens STAYED on said hands), my heart felt such gratitude and contentment. Especially with the hand spun yarn and thus the connection to my mother and her sheep. So pure! No packaging to throw away, no processing mills to pollute, no ill-treated laborers to exploit. I think this is the most compelling motivation for me to keep knitting/sewing/making.
This morning was cold and gray and bare, but not raining--perfect conditions for walking to the park. We wore all of our woolens to keep warm.
Under those boots were these socks:
This is her third pair since birth, and the pattern is a favorite of mine for baby gifts. A great way to try out sock knitting without too much commitment. The yarn was a leftover superwash wool and the pattern is "Leftovers" Baby Socks. I've posted more details at my Ravelry page.
My favorite new phrase in my daughter's vocabulary: "Mama made it!"
No comments:
Post a Comment